Mithras Law Group Immigration Blog

Global Immigration and Business Solutions

Posts Tagged ‘Student Visas

UK Announces Tougher Rules for Foriegn Students

leave a comment »

Foreign students,outside of the European Union, wanting to come to the UK study will be now required to meet stricter entry criteria according to British Home Secretary, Alan Johnson.
Yesterday Mr. Johnson announced that students wanting to study in the UK will have to show more robust documentation, including financial proof of being able to study and live in the UK.
New measures introduced include:
  • a good standard of English (equivalent of holding just below a GCSE in a foreign language) will be needed to come to the UK and study to improve English language competency further;
  • a good standard of English (again equivalent of holding just below a GCSE in a foreign language) will need to be demonstrated to study any other course below degree level;
  • restricting the lowest-level courses (A levels and equivalent) to only the most trusted institutions;
  • halving the amount of time a student studying below first degree level or on a foundation degree course will be able to work, to just 10 hours during term time;
  • a ban on bringing in dependants for anyone studying a course for less than six months; and
  • a ban on dependants of anyone studying a course lower than foundation or undergraduate degree level from working – or being subject to removal from the UK if found doing so.
  • introduction of tougher criteria for defining which course providers count as ‘highly trusted sponsors’ of foreign students. All publicly funded universities and colleges will count as highly trusted, and private training colleges can also gain that status.

The Home Secretary also announced that the UK government will implement plans to introduce a points test by 2011 for those who wish to earn British citizenship.

Written by MithrasLaw

February 11, 2010 at 11:04 am

Thinking of Obtaining a Non-immigrant Student Visa (F or M visa) in the US?

with 2 comments

If you are looking to obtain a non-immigrant F or M student visa in the United States or change your status to a student visa because you need to sharpen your skills or because you have been laid off from your job or because you are thinking of pursuing a new career, below are the overview of the steps required by US Customs and Enforcement:

If applying from outside the United States:

Non-immigrants must:

  • Apply to and be accepted by, an SEVP-certified school.

See link for updated approved SEVP schools:

  • Be able to pay for the cost of schooling and living expenses while in the United States and furnish proof of sufficient funding to the school. Non-immigrant students have limited work opportunities, so unless the school has promised an on-campus job, non-immigrant students should not expect to work to pay expenses.
  • Attend school full-time (except for Mexican or Canadian residents who live at home and commute to a United States school within 75 miles of the U.S. border.)
  • When a school accepts a non-immigrant applicant, it issues a Form I-20 for initial attendance. Prospective non-immigrant students may apply to more than one SEVP-certified school but must choose one and use the Form I-20 from that school when applying for a visa.
  • After receiving the Form I-20, the prospective non-immigrant student must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.
  • The prospective non-immigrant student must then obtain a student visa from an embassy or consulate abroad or, if from a visa exempt country such as Canada or Bermuda, apply for admittance at a U.S. POE.
  • After obtaining an F-1 or M-1 visa, the prospective student may apply for entry into the United States through a U.S. POE no more than 30 days prior to the program start date on the student’s Form I-20.

If applying from within the United States :

The prospective non-immigrants must:

  • Be in the United States in a valid non-immigrant status and eligible to change to F-1 or M-1 status
  • Receive approval from USCIS for the change of status.
  • Be prepared to depart the United States immediately if the change of status application is denied.

Updated List of SEVP Approved Schools

leave a comment »

US Immigration and Customs Enforcement has updated its list of Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) approved schools.

For the updated list of SEVP approved schools see link:

Written by MithrasLaw

March 6, 2009 at 3:50 pm

New Fee Structure for Student and Exchange Visitor Program – Effective October 27, 2008

leave a comment »

The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) announced that the SEVP school certification petition fees and the SEVIS I-901 fees for foreign nationals seeking to become academic (F visa) or vocational students (M visa), or exchange visitors (J visa) will increase.

The increase in fee changes made in the SEVP rule will affect both students and schools, but schools currently participating in SEVP will not be required to pay additional fees to recertify under this new fee structure. The increase is as follows: $1,700 for a school certification petition; $655 for each site visit for certification; $200 for each F or M student; and an $180 fee for certain J exchange visitors. However, the $35 fee for each J exchange visitor seeking admission as an au pair, camp counselor, or summer work/travel program participant will continue to remain the same.

Once promulgated, the rule will also establish procedures for the oversight and recertification of schools attended by F and/or M students, and procedures for schools to submit recertification petitions. The rule also adds a provision allowing a school to voluntarily withdraw from its certification, and clarifies procedures for school operation with regard to F and M students during recertification and following a denial of recertification or a withdrawal of certification. For more information you can refer to

%d bloggers like this: