Mithras Law Group Immigration Blog

Global Immigration and Business Solutions

Archive for the ‘Student and Exchange Visitor Visas’ Category

Immigrants leaving UK in growing numbers

with one comment

Legal immigrants to the United Kingdom (UK) are increasingly more likely to leave the country after a short stay.  The report titled Shall we stay or Shall we Go: Re-migration trends among Britain’s immigrantsdiscloses that in the last two years 400,000 immigrants have left the UK.

Published by the Institute for the Public Policy Research on August 5, 2009, the report makes some interesting observations:

  • Approximately half of the around six million total immigrants to the UK in the last thirty years have left the country
  • The number of people leaving is expected to keep increasing — more than 190,000 left  in 2007, likely to be exceeded in 2008
  • The number of immigrants spending less than four years in the UK doubled between 1996 and 2007
  • According to an on-line survey, 85% of immigrants currently in the UK said they were only planning to stay short term

The findings of the report would likely have an effect on the UK Government’s new points-based immigration and citizenship schemes, which put an emphasis on highly skilled migration and greater integration of immigrants.  Research shows that it’s the migrants with high-end skills and good education who even though tend to come to the UK for economic reasons but are leaving for personal reasons, thus depriving the country of it’s best skilled immigrants.  The current policies also run the risk of affecting employers’ retention strategies used to keep highly skilled immigrants in Britain.

The report makes some policy recommendations to the government to stem this flow of highly-skilled immigrants:

  • Pilot and promote Migration Information Centres and ‘Circular Migration’ schemes so that short stay migration is better managed
  • Actively encourage immigrants to stay longer through using the points based system, retention schemes, simplified visa extensions and tax incentives
  • Ensure that migrant integration strategies take into account the increasing amount of short stay migration
  • Encourage and help foreign students to find jobs in the UK after they graduate through government schemes
  • Improve links with former immigrants to the UK and treating them as a ‘secondary diaspora’ which could be regarded as an economic and diplomatic asset

Written by MithrasLaw

August 7, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Thinking of Obtaining a Non-immigrant Student Visa (F or M visa) in the US?

with 2 comments

If you are looking to obtain a non-immigrant F or M student visa in the United States or change your status to a student visa because you need to sharpen your skills or because you have been laid off from your job or because you are thinking of pursuing a new career, below are the overview of the steps required by US Customs and Enforcement:

If applying from outside the United States:

Non-immigrants must:

  • Apply to and be accepted by, an SEVP-certified school.

See link for updated approved SEVP schools:

  • Be able to pay for the cost of schooling and living expenses while in the United States and furnish proof of sufficient funding to the school. Non-immigrant students have limited work opportunities, so unless the school has promised an on-campus job, non-immigrant students should not expect to work to pay expenses.
  • Attend school full-time (except for Mexican or Canadian residents who live at home and commute to a United States school within 75 miles of the U.S. border.)
  • When a school accepts a non-immigrant applicant, it issues a Form I-20 for initial attendance. Prospective non-immigrant students may apply to more than one SEVP-certified school but must choose one and use the Form I-20 from that school when applying for a visa.
  • After receiving the Form I-20, the prospective non-immigrant student must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.
  • The prospective non-immigrant student must then obtain a student visa from an embassy or consulate abroad or, if from a visa exempt country such as Canada or Bermuda, apply for admittance at a U.S. POE.
  • After obtaining an F-1 or M-1 visa, the prospective student may apply for entry into the United States through a U.S. POE no more than 30 days prior to the program start date on the student’s Form I-20.

If applying from within the United States :

The prospective non-immigrants must:

  • Be in the United States in a valid non-immigrant status and eligible to change to F-1 or M-1 status
  • Receive approval from USCIS for the change of status.
  • Be prepared to depart the United States immediately if the change of status application is denied.

Updated List of SEVP Approved Schools

leave a comment »

US Immigration and Customs Enforcement has updated its list of Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) approved schools.

For the updated list of SEVP approved schools see link:

Written by MithrasLaw

March 6, 2009 at 3:50 pm

List of SEVP Approved Schools

leave a comment »

US Immigration and Customs Enforcement has updated its list of Student and Exchange Visitor Program approved schools as of October 6, 2008.

See for list.

Written by MithrasLaw

October 17, 2008 at 4:27 pm

New Fee Structure for Student and Exchange Visitor Program – Effective October 27, 2008

leave a comment »

The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) announced that the SEVP school certification petition fees and the SEVIS I-901 fees for foreign nationals seeking to become academic (F visa) or vocational students (M visa), or exchange visitors (J visa) will increase.

The increase in fee changes made in the SEVP rule will affect both students and schools, but schools currently participating in SEVP will not be required to pay additional fees to recertify under this new fee structure. The increase is as follows: $1,700 for a school certification petition; $655 for each site visit for certification; $200 for each F or M student; and an $180 fee for certain J exchange visitors. However, the $35 fee for each J exchange visitor seeking admission as an au pair, camp counselor, or summer work/travel program participant will continue to remain the same.

Once promulgated, the rule will also establish procedures for the oversight and recertification of schools attended by F and/or M students, and procedures for schools to submit recertification petitions. The rule also adds a provision allowing a school to voluntarily withdraw from its certification, and clarifies procedures for school operation with regard to F and M students during recertification and following a denial of recertification or a withdrawal of certification. For more information you can refer to

%d bloggers like this: